GENERAL POLICY STATEMENT
Honda Federal Credit Union recognizes its responsibility to protect the privacy of personal, nonpublic member information. The purpose of this policy is to set forth the guidelines under which such information may be shared with third parties. It is the intent of HFCU to abide by all applicable laws and regulations governing the privacy of member information.
- COLLECTION OF INFORMATION. In the course of delivering products and services, the credit union obtains member information, either directly from the member or from outside sources. This information is used to comply with federal and state laws and regulations, to provide effective member service and to inform members of product and services, which may be of interest.
- MAINTENANCE OF ACCURATE INFORMATION. HFCU will exercise reasonable caution in the gathering and maintenance of information to ensure its accuracy. When inaccurate information is discovered, it will be corrected as promptly as possible.
- DISCLOSING INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES. HFCU will not sell member information to third parties. Information will be shared with third parties under the following conditions:
RESPONSIBILITY OF SERVICE PARTNERS. HFCU will only approve service partners with established policies of privacy similar to those of the Credit Union.
PRIVACY OF ELECTRONIC TRANSACTIONS.
- (a) When disclosure is required to complete member-authorized transactions (such as check or credit card processing).
- (b) To verify the existence or condition of member accounts to a third party (such as a credit bureau), as permitted by law.
- (c) To comply with a court order or applicable laws or regulations.
- (d) When authorized by written permission from the member.
- (e) As part of a member service agreement with an approved service partner, provided the third party is contractually bound to perform services and to maintain the confidentiality of the information.
EMPLOYEE TRAINING Employees will be trained with regard to their responsibilities under this policy. In addition, employees should be trained to recognize, respond to, and where appropriate, report any unauthorized or fraudulent attempts to obtain member information.
- (a) Encryption. Electronic interfaces with members (such as Internet transactions) will be encrypted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) 128-bit encryption.
- (b) Account Access. Member account information and transactions will be protected by a password that must be used in conjunction with a username or account number. Members must apply for this capability and be registered with the credit union for authentication purposes.
- (c) "Cookies". The credit union may use "cookies" as part of its web site interface. A "cookie" is a small file that is placed on the user's computer. While it contains no member information, it identifies the member's computer and allows the credit union to measure usage of the web site and customize the web site experience.
- (d) Links. HFCU will frequently link to other sites as a convenience to our members. HFCU will seek to link with other sites that adhere to similar privacy standards. However, the Credit Union is not responsible for the content of linked sites, or for their policies on the collection of member information.